Is Using Your Credit Card Safe?
Yes. Your credit card information is encrypted during transmission using secure socket layer (SSL) technology, which is widely used on the Internet for this purpose.
To increase your card security when you shop online:
- Only shop online at secure websites - look for the padlock at the bottom or top of your screen before entering any personal information to ensure that you’re shopping from a secure site. The website address should always start with https://
- Look for reputable internet merchants or stores - anyone can set up a website, so if you are unsure of the business or their online security then ask for more information before you use their service.
- Ensure the computer you use has current anti-virus and firewall protection.
- Print out copies of online receipts to make it easier to check your statement.
- Avoid sites that require you to provide your Social Security number, and never send payment information by email.